Saturday, July 15, 2006

John Pawling Circus 1949 #1


The official title for this show was "John Pawling Great London Circus", it only existed for one season and as I recall, the owners name was Rumbaugh.
The equipment looks very well painted and canvas in good shape. The show had a cat act as well as Rudy Mueller's elephant "Rosie", formerly of Billy Rose's "Jumbo".
Tommy Bently was on the show and I remember him telling my dad later with Kelly-Miller that it was a pretty neat operation, the spec was well choreographed and the band leader had even written a March which Tommy sang for us:

"There's something about a circus, something about a circus, something about a circus
that is fine, fine, fine!
Something about the music, something about magic, something about the uniforms
that shine, shine, shine!".

A catchy little ditty, odd what people will remember after all these years.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

From Eric:

Speaking of catchy spec lyrics,
one of my favorites was from the RBBB 108th Edition's opening, sung by Harold Ronk:

I Love a Circus,
A Three Ring Circus.

It thrills me down to my toes.

I Love a Circus,
A Three Ring Circus.

The kind that everyone knows.

Buckles said...

I listened to Harold sing those lyrics twice a day and three times on Saturday for two years, totally oblivious to how important the phrase "The kind that everyone knows" would later become.

Buckles said...

Slightly along the same subject, I just received an eMail from a former High School friend, reminding me that the next reunion will be in 2008, the 55th.
I am told that anyone who knows who he is receives a blue star.
Anyone who knows anyone else receives a red star.
And anyone who knows where he is receives a gold star.

Anonymous said...

Well, don't keep us in suspense. How many stars did you get?

Buckles said...

I'm pretty sure of two.

Anonymous said...

This has nothing to do with anything, but when I heard “three shows on Saturday” I felt the need to share a song that I’ve been playin’ for the last twenty years to folks who don’t understand. So get your guitars out and play: l.j.

Mike Aston wrote a song something like this:

Intro ***

G E A D G
Two times a day, three times on Saturday we go into our Circus World.
E A D
We’ve got all kinds of women, all kinds of clowns, and all kinds of pretty girls.
C G D G
We got Big Jim Darra, and Billy Scadlock, and don’t forget Gina Sue.
C G D G
We got Barry, and Brian, and Little John; we got Miss Haines City too.

E A D G
*** Doot Do Do -- Do Do Do -- de Doot Do Do - Do Do Do.


Every day ‘bout 7 o’clock we all get to go back home.
Some of us got a pretty little lady, and some go home alone;
But then every night ‘bout eight o’ five we head out the Howard Jay’s
We tell Miss Penny all of our problems and she makes us feel OK.

24-HOUR-MAN said...

If I make it to my 55th,(also in 2008) it will be my 2nd one, my 1st was the 50th.